More Stuff About Me and Things

Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm Impressed



I was talking with one of my good friends last night. We talked about a lot of things, but we settled on why people do the things they do. By this we were talking about lying, hurtful words and the need to impress the people around us.

I think that these things come from our desire to take care of ourselves. We want to be liked or respected or popular. These things aren't bad, but the truth about who we are isn't found in the things that we do for ourselves. It isn't found in the facades that we put up for other people. The truth about who we are can be found in God and His truth about who He created us to be.

The fact is that I'm impressed with anyone that is in a constant, abiding relationship with Jesus. To me, that is the fullness of joy. I have bad days when I try to be in control of myself, but my best days are when I am true to who God created me to be.

I can't live up to the expectations of the world around me. I can't live up to the expectations that I set for myself. I can live up to the expectations that God holds for my life because He is the one who lifts me up to achieve true joy in who He has made me to be.

I have to rest in that. I don't need to be the strongest, the fastest or the best. I just have to be loved...by God.

No comments: