More Stuff About Me and Things

Friday, October 24, 2008

Dr. Horrible's Dilemma



So, I have been watching a video called "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog." It's a funny story about an amateur villian (Neil Patrick Harris) and his attempt to become a part of the Evil League of Evil and work with his idol Bad Horse with his terrifying whinney. What can I say, it's a pretty funny story (and the msuci is great)! If you have some time, I suggest watching it at www.drhorrible.com

The last time that I watched this I was struck with an interesting thought. I will try to explain it without giving too much away. Near the end, Dr. Horrible is faced with a decision. He can either become a member of the Evil League of Evil and be the villian of his dreams or he can have the girl of his dreams.

Dr. Horrible can either have everything that he thought he always wanted...or...everything he thought that he ever wanted.

When we are only looking out for ourselves and the things that being us contentment and pleasure, we will never be satisfied. We will always be wanting more. And as Dr. Horrible learns, you can't have everything because sometimes our desires are conflicting.

I think that I go through a large portion of my life trying to get the things that will make Bill happy. I am just now coming to the understanding that the treasures that I can conjure up and store for myself are just fleeting whispers of security and purpose. The things that I think that I want will never be fulfilling to me. I will still be empty and needing more.

As a Christian, all I need can be found in Christ. His love, character, strength and commission are all that I need to be full and complete. He came and dies so that I might have life and that I might have is to the fullest. A life that is overflowing. Only God can fill the desires of my heart because he knows what is best for me. He knows me better than I know myself.

It's been said that you can't make an omelet wittout breaking a few eggs. I think that is true. When i am trying to do things simply for myself, I am breaking eggs and then dumping them into the trash. There is no omelet in sight. In Christ, there will be many times of struggle and hardship. Jesus doesn't promise that it will be easy. He doesn't promise we won't break some eggs, he just promises us the omelet.


No comments: